Downpatching is a method in Elden Ring to return the game to a previous version. The best way to downpatch the game is to use the Steam Console to download various depots containing previous versions of the game. Typically offline downpatched versions are used in sync with EAC Bypass & No Logo mod.
Before proceeding, we recommend always backing up local copies of your Elden Ring installation, as well as backing up your save files. This will make both restoring your installation when something goes wrong and switching back and forth between different versions much easier. The installation location is: Steam\steamapps\common\ELDEN RING. Your save file is located in \Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\EldenRing\<numbers>\ER0000.sl2
- Launch Steam (NOT Offline Mode)
- Download the latest release of Steam Manifest Patcher. Launch SteamDepotDownpatcher.exe. Note that you have to launch SteamDepotDownpatcher.exe again whenever you restart Steam if you want to download a depot.
- Press the Windows Key + R. This will open the Run window.
- Open the Steam console by typing the following string: steam://open/console , Steam should now open in Console Mode.
- Insert the string of the depot you wish to download. For example: download_depot 1245620 1245621 8390693081119963338. Refer to the table below.
- Steam will now download the depot. Note: There is no progress bar of the download in Steam, but it is still downloading in the background. You can confirm this by checking Steam's network usage in either the Downloads tab in Steam or via Task Manager. You can ignore any other information displayed in console. It is most likely unrelated to the downpatching process.
- Delete your save file ER0000.sl2 in AppData (make sure to backup saves with https://wiki.speedsouls.com/SpeedSouls_-_Save_Organizer). AppData is hidden by default. To locate it, press Windows Key + R, type %appdata% and hit enter or: open File Explorer > View > Hidden Items and follow C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Elden Ring\<numbers>.
- Turn off auto-updates in Steam by right-clicking Elden Ring in your library > Properties > Updates > set "Automatic Updates" to "Only update this game when I launch it" (or change the value for AutoUpdateBehavior to 1 in Steam\steamapps\appmanifest_1245620.acf).
- Turn off Steam Cloud synchronization in Steam > Settings > Cloud in order to prevent Steam from attempting to automatically import cloud saves.
- Return back to the Steam console. Once the download is complete, it should present a temporary local directory in which the depot has been stored. This is usually something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\content\app_XXXXXX\depot_XXXXXX. Back up this game folder as well.
- Download the two depot files, but them together in 1 folder, and DON'T replace them in the steam folder, put them in their own non-steam folder. Then you can use Method 1 on https://wiki.speedsouls.com/eldenring:EAC_Bypass (Appid Textfile method) to launch the game with same executable name, & allows LiveSplit and .CT tables to attach correctly. This is to prevent any errors from additional file modification by Steam to the game folder. Add any other depots that belong to your downpatched installation as well. For example, to return to Ver 1.02.3 / Calib 1.02.1, combine the contents of both the 1245621 (Data) and 1245624 (Executable) depots to create your downpatched directory in your non-steam folder.
- Important Always launch your downpatched game version from the non-steam folder. User can also add a downpatched version of Elden Ring into steam as a "non-steam game" and that will prevent Steam from realizing it's actually booting an unpatched version of the game.
- If you did all these steps correctly, you should be able to confirm your game version in the bottom right corner after launching Elden Ring.
Ver 1.02.3 / Calib 1.02.1 - March 4th
download_depot 1245620 1245621 8390693081119963338
download_depot 1245620 1245624 2484355486124511110
download_depot 1245620 1245623 6753042800700035993
Ver 1.03.2 / Calib 1.03.2 - March 23rd
download_depot 1245620 1245621 651592403601971015
download_depot 1245620 1245624 4044806403270059785
download_depot 1245620 1245623 1329087738181980725