Dark Souls 100% Area Completion is a speedrun category in which the player tries to complete the game as fast as possible while also clearing every single area. Glitches, skips and sequence breaks are all allowed. Using other programs to affect the game or editing the game code is not allowed; apart from a few exceptions allowed by the community.
- Clearing all 26 bosses
- Clearing all non-respawning enemies (1)
- Unlocking all shortcuts (2)
- Dissolving all foggates
- Kindling all 43 bonfires to the furthest level
- Picking up all item collectibles (3)
- Finishing all NPC questlines (4)
(1) All of them need to be cleared when you finish the game. Any means are allowed here as long as the entities don't exist in the area anymore, for example the Gargoyles in Anor Londo can be cleared by turning Anor Londo to dark instead of killing them if desired. Black Phantom NPCs can be cleared by simply clearing the boss of the area, but some of them need to be killed separately in order to access all of the collectibles (for example Kirk's or Leeroy's set).
|List of all non-respawning enemies to clear
- Black Knights
- Golden Crystal Golems
- Giant Rat
- Daughter of Chaos
- Crystal General
- Berenike Knight
- Giant Felines
- Hellkite Drake
- Parasitic Wall Hugger
- Titanite Demons
- Undead Dragons
- Chained Prisoner
- Sen's Giants
- Anor Londo Gargoyles
- Non-respawning Taurus Demons
- Bounding Demons (Dragonbutts)
- Any NPC that is aggressive by default or made aggressive through any action by the player
(notable examples: Darkling Lady, Forest Hunters, 2 NPC Knights in Dark AL)
- Non-respawning Pisacas
- Sunlight Maggot Chaos Bug
- Non-respawning dog in the Depths
- Blowdart Snipers
- Possessed Trees
- Crystal Lizards
- Black Phantom NPC invaders
- Humanity Sprites around Sif in the DLC
- The non-respawning Bloathead Sorceress giving you the "I'm sorry" carving in the DLC
- Non-respawning Chaos Eaters belonging to the Siegmeyer questline
(2) Any door, gate, elevator or similar construct counts as a shortcut if it can only be opened/activated from one side initially.
|List of all shortcuts to open
- The sealed gate of New Londo Ruins
- The Chaos Servant shortcut gate
- The 3 shortcut elevators in the DLC
- The small shortcut door in the Anor Londo cathedral
- The big cathedral gate in Anor Londo
- The elevator connecting Firelink and Parish
- The cage elevator shortcut in Sen's Fortress
- The cell door in the aqueduct connecting Firelink and lower Undead Burg
- The cell door connecting lower and upper Undead Burg.
- The giant bookshelf connecting the courtyard and the hall with the balcony bonfire in Duke's Archives
(3) Any item pickup in an area that stays in the area on reload needs to be picked up and counts towards the area completion.
(4) Generally, any NPC moving from one place to another or any NPC appearing/disappearing is considered a questline. The final state of each NPC questline has to be reached where the NPC has to be killed when hollow as they now fall under the 2nd rule (clearing all non-respawning enemies). Premature killing does not count as a completed questline.
|List of all NPC questlines
- Anastacia + Lautrec: Free Lautrec, let him kill Anastacia, then kill Lautrec in Anor Londo and revive Anastacia in Firelink afterwards.
- Ciaran: Make her disappear by giving her Artorias' Soul or consuming it.
- Crestfallen Warrior: Trigger his dialogues to make him go hollow, then kill him in New Londo Ruins.
- Domhnall: Make him move to the Firelink aqueduct by ringing both Bells of Awakening.
- Dusk: Rescue Dusk from Manus.
- Griggs: Free him in Undead Burg, buy all his spells to make him go hollow, then kill him in Sen's Fortress.
- Ingward: Make him move to Firelink by talking to him before and after killing Four Kings.
- Laurentius: Free him in the Depths, buy all his pyromancies to make him go hollow, then kill him in Blighttown
- Logan: Free him in Sen's, make him go hollow in the Duke's Archives by buying all his spells, then kill him at the first Seath encounter arena.
- Oswald: Make him appear by ringing the Church bell.
- Patches: Make him move to Firelink.
- Quelaana: Has to be gone from Blighttown by the end of the run. This may be achieved by simply ignoring her but if you do use her services you have to buy all her spells, get an ascended pyromancy flame and kill Bed of Chaos to make her leave.
- Rhea: Rescue her in the Tomb, buy all her miracles to make her go hollow, then kill her in Duke's Archives.
- Shiva: Join the Forest Covenant to make him appear, then talk to him to make him move to Blighttown.
- Siegmeyer + Sieglinde: Help Siegmeyer in Sen's, Anor Londo, Blighttown, Izalith and talk to Sieglinde in Firelink to make them move to Ash Lake.
- Solaire: Talk to him throughout Lordran to make him go hollow or save him. Kill him in Izalith if hollowed.
- Sif (DLC): Free him from the Humanity sprites.
||Estimated possible time
(The rules listed here are specific to this category. Go to this page to find the rules that apply to all Dark Souls speedruns.)